STOP! Don't wash your newborn, Birthday frosting is GOOD!
Was your baby born with birthday frosting?
This frosting is called Vernix and is babies first moisturizer! Vernix develops around 20 weeks of pregnancy and babies tend to lose it over time.
So what exactly is vernix? It's a protective layer that keeps their skin moisturized while they grow in the amniotic fluid. A recent study found that vernix contained 41 proteins, 25 of which were unique only to vernix. 39% of the identified proteins are involved in innate immunity and 29% of the proteins are anti-microbial. 61% of these proteins can only be found in vernix. Scientists have identified lipids, amino acids, proteins, antibacterial, and antimicrobial compounds such as:
* wax and sterol esters
* amino acids, asparagine and glutamine
Why is it rubbed off if is naturally so good for baby?
Many policies in the hospital system are outdated but still practiced. We were taught that Vernix was a risk of germs. You can ask staff to please reduce rubbing of baby to preserve Vernix on baby’s skin! When baby has his first skin to skin contact with you, this is the perfect time to rub it in, not rub it off.
With that lets talk about the
........Benefits of Vernix..........
* it acts as antibacterial agent to protect baby inside and outside the womb (Babies really are born clean!)
* Protects baby from bacteria in the birth canal and the new post birth environment
* allows baby to pick up good back bacteria and leave behind overgrowth of bad bacteria
* protects baby from meconium exposure(baby’s first poop)
* Helps keep body warm (combine that with skin to skin to help body temperature regulate)
* acts as a lubricant and decreases friction during birth and reducing infant trauma
* your baby swallows Vernix in the womb. The same proteins found in vernix are the same as those in breastmilk. This helps baby’s digestive tract to be ready to breastfeed.
* keeps baby’s skin soft and subtle
* Creates a hydrophobic barrier that allows the epidermis (skin) to form correctly in utero
* Contains Vitamin E
My personal favorite benefit is the contribution to that new baby smell! Mmmm nothing better!
With all these benefits, you may want to consider delaying that first bath and rubbing the vernix in!
MAJORITY OF VERNIX IS ABSORBED 24 HOURS AFTER BIRTH BUT ISNT FULLY ABSORBED TILL 5-6 DAYS AFTER BIRTH! LETS GIVE OUR BABIES TIME ABSORB THIS DELICIOUS CREAM THAT SCIENTISTS ARE SO DESPERATELY TRYING TO DUPLICATE BUT CANNOT!